Tuesday, April 7, 2009

You Can't Please 'Em All

We changed our family night to Tuesday night (just for this week) and I decided that I needed to come up with something fun just to kick off our return to scripture study. See, I get all ambitious and decide we're going to get back into the routine of studying - I mean really studying - and then it all falls apart very shortly thereafter.

I have this great book that's a study guide for the Book of Mormon. This book takes you through from title page to the end and breaks it all down and has ideas for activities to keep it interesting, so I sit and plan out the lesson each day and we do it at night and it really only takes about 15-30 minutes, but there's fun involved.

So, tonight I decided to kick off our return with a little game called Scripture Categories (a knock off of Scattergories). I sat down at the computer and typed up each letter of the alphabet with a line coming out from it so we could write something in each space. A through Z. Then I sat down with John and Bertrand at the dinner table this evening (the girls were in bed this time -Hallelujah - little monsters) and I told them the rules (very similar to Scattergories rules). I gave us all 15 minutes to complete the task and no scriptures were allowed. By, the way, this included ALL scriptures, any word, name, etc. found in the scriptures for each letter of the alphabet.

I thought it was fun. Bertrand thought it was fun.

John thought it was lame and moped away from the table immediately afterwards. I don't know if it had anything to do with the scores (26 pts for me, 22 pts for Bertrand, 19 points for John). Teenagers! He's not even a teenager yet and he already gives me grief. Everything is lame. EVERYTHING! Oh well...I tried. At least Bertrand and I had fun. And now we're ready to dig back in and feast on the good word! At least, Bertrand and I are...

5 comments:

My family Begins said...

I remember having John's attitude about EVERYTHING and anything my parents thought would be fun...I really wish I wouldn't have given my parents so much grief.

mbreck said...

Family of three was bad. Just kidding. I loved her and don't remember her being bad. It was another one that was bad. You got to love teenagers. Yuck! Wait till your girls get up there. Uggghhh. This is when we ship them off to a nice Aunt to raise.

Hiatt Family said...

That sounds fun! That's great that you sit down and plan it out instead of just reading a few verses. That's my struggle right now...we read but it's the same every day. For some reason I thought I'd have to wait until I had kids to be creative with it, but I guess not! Thanks for this post!

Anonymous said...

LOL...sounds like my house. Brownie points for you for making the effort! Sounds like it was a blast.

Lois Lane said...

I think he'll be that way for the next decade or so. Once he has adolescents of his own, he'll finally appreciate you. Unless he's an angel like me . . . .