Sunday, June 21, 2009

A Disturbing Discovery

Today my daughter Sylvie, at the tender age of almost 4 had to learn a very scary truth. I don't know if she'll ever be the same after this. She may require therapy later on. Only time will tell...

Now, I've written before of the many spirits that seem to haunt this place we currently inhabit. We've all witnessed them. But now it seems there is yet another sort of creature that inhabits this place and my poor, sweet daughter was the first to catch sight of it. This one makes a snarling, grunting sort of noise. It's positively frightening when you hear it - especially the first time. It totally catches you off guard. It comes from behind a certain doorway down the hall. Here's how it was first discovered:

This afternoon I had to come home early from church. The pregnancy is wearing on me and I had an episode where I felt really dizzy and shaky and short of breath and had to just come home and lie down for a bit. My husband was left with the two girls and of course they wanted to stay with me, so he left us three in the master bed with a movie so we could relax and hopefully doze off.

Fifteen minutes later the girls were restless and I was exhausted. I could tell we all needed a nap, so I directed the girls to their own room and followed close behind to tuck them in for a nice afternoon nap. All was quiet and we all fell into a deep sleep.

The rest of this story is according to my husband who witnessed this horrific occurrence with my daughter. He told me later that when he returned home from church he was on his computer and suddenly he saw Sylvie in the hallway. She slowly crept out of her room and tiptoed cautiously onto the tile floor of the hall, particularly interested in the sound coming from behind the doorway across the hall. She didn't see her daddy behind her on the computer. She was so engrossed in discovering what the noise was behind the door. Bertrand, hearing the noise and seeing Sylvie creep closer to it, got up quickly from his chair and followed close behind.

Bertrand claims at this point Sylvie turned and saw her daddy behind her. Her eyes were wide as saucers and she whispered loudly, "Papa! There's a monster in your room!"

He explained to her that it was just mommy - SNORING!

"No, Papa. It's a monster!" She insisted very adamantly.

"No Sylvie", he replied. "It's just mommy snoring. Come with me. I'll show you."

He took her into our room and she peered around the corner, still cautious, and saw me lying in the bed, and heard the horrible, loud, snorting noise.

She then turned to him and said, "Wow, mommy makes a lot of noise."

When I awoke later, Bertrand relayed the story to me. I was so mortified and it sounded so funny, I laughed until I cried. I called out to Sylvie, "Hey, did you hear mommy snoring today?" Sylvie nodded her head with big eyes and said, "Yeah, mommy. You gotta' stop doing that."

THAT is what poor Bertrand has to sleep next to every night. Apparently the more pregnant I am, the louder and more obnoxiously I snore. It's so mortifying, but this story was too funny not to tell. So there you have it - there's a ferocious beast that lurks in the master bedroom and it's called MOMMY SLEEPING!

6 comments:

Sami said...

LOL!!! You crack me up!! I had the same problem at the end of my last pregnancy. I hope Bertrand isn't a lite sleeper! :) HA HA HA

Hiatt Family said...

Ha ha, that is hilarious! By the way, you looked so cute at church today! Seriously, I know you probably don't feel really cute right now but you looked adorable!!!

mbreck said...

I lvoe that. I needed that smile so bad. Thanks sweetie. I miss you so much!

Vonney said...

That is so funny! TFS!

Mark and Gretchen said...

Well I guess you are your father's daughter, after all...
Mom
PS To try to make himself feel better...he told me that this morning when he got up that I was making a little purring sound. Oh yeah...well I wish his sounds could be described as "purring." His breathing machine sounds like Darth Vader...sometimes I would like to return to the SNORE....

Kristin Coppee said...

I do that to Bertrand too. I'll say, "You were snoring a bit last night" and he'll say, "I was? Are you serious?" And I'll say, "Well, not as loud as me, but yeah, you were." It makes me feel better too. LOL