Saturday, November 8, 2008

The Prophet Said To Plant A Garden

Bertrand works about 50-60 hours a week cleaning and repairing pools. And then he comes home and cooks sometimes, helps with the cleaning, helps with the kids. And then suddenly he decides he wants to plant a garden - on top of everything else he does. This guy never ceases to amaze me. He studied up on gardening a bit on the Internet and in books and called a friend for advice and then he spent an entire Saturday working on it.



He rented a rototiller from Home depot and then he and John did some extra shoveling. And he started out planting squash, cucumbers, onions, peppers, radishes, carrots and lettuce, and many more. Within a couple of weeks we had sprouts shooting up out of the ground already. It was really exciting.



While the men worked on the garden, I stayed indoors with the girls who were too afraid of the rototiller engine. I decided to take this opportunity to try to potty train Sylvie-Faye. Chloe decided she wanted to join in the fun too. As you can see from the pictures above, they did more riding around on the scooter like a couple of circus monkeys, and those underpants are way too big for Chloe's tiny little bum. I called her "saggy buns" the whole day. That picture on the end cracks me up. And no - the potty training did not work out. They just wanted to wear the Princess underwear. They didn't want to have to actually sit on the potty.



Within a month our garden looked like this: peas,



squash radishes tomatoes


Bertrand decided not to build a drip system just yet, so the garden has to be hand watered three times a day. We decided John would water it in the morning before school, Sylvie, Chloe and I would water it in the afternoon after I picked them up from daycare, and Bertrand would water it at night when he got home.




The girls LOVE watering the garden. I think they actually like playing with the water more. You better believe I was having evil thoughts on that last picture when I turned the water off and Sylvie was looking down the barrel of the hose asking where the water went. Oh, I so badly wanted to turn it on and squirt her in the face, but I restrained myself. She would have freaked out!




Now that the weather is getting colder, Bertrand spent another half a Saturday building a sort of greenhouse around the garden to protect the plants. They're coming along nicely. I'm so grateful for a hard-working husband. We've already plucked a couple of radishes from the ground and they were so much better than the store bought ones. Ever since I married Bertrand, we've become radish eaters. These ones from our garden were so juicy and extra spicy. Yum! I can't wait to partake of the other fruit and veg.

7 comments:

rossandconnierockon! said...

This is awesome! I am so excited to see this. We are actually having a cement slab poured, today even, for our greenhouse! We have lots of research to do as well--but so glad to see you guys have such success!

My family Begins said...

Wow, the garden looks great. Way to heed to the words of our Prophet. I wish we had some space for a garden; I love fresh vegtables. Yummy.

Sharlet said...

Wow. I am totally impressed with your garden. That is so much work. I'm not really that good of a gardener.

Mark and Gretchen said...

Looks great... nice work!

Anonymous said...

I would LOVE a garden...when can you start? I guess I'll have to move to have a garden..I have no yard...lol! I'll just come shopping for produce in your backyard.

sandra said...

I'm soooo jealous!! I've been aching for a garden for years but always find so many excuses... no room, having babies, wrong time of the season etc. But you've, once again, inspired me.. (or at least inspired me to nag at Troy some more!) I WANT MY GARDEN!! Way to go guys.. the results look awesome.

Blake & Melissa said...

Awesome garden, Kristen (great job Bertrand!)