Friday, June 6, 2008

Smithy

It's a new expression I invented...I think.

It's actually a word. It was used in the "olden days" (only because I don't know history and I'm too lazy to look it up) to describe a blacksmith's workshop, I think. I don't know. Do you wanna' look it up? 'Cause I sure don't. Here's a pic.

It just came out of nowhere one night when JJ and I were driving somewhere and this is how it went down:

ME: We need to buy you some new clothes.

JJ: Why?

ME: Don't you like buying new clothes?

JJ: No.

ME: What?

JJ: What's wrong with the clothes I have?

ME: I don't know. They're a bit Smithy, that's all.

JJ: Smithy? What the heck is Smithy?

ME: I don't know. It just came out, but I think it means "old and outdated - in need of refreshing or something..."

JJ: You're a freak, mom.

ME: I know, huh. (In British accent - for more spice) Smithy. I kind of like that. It's my new word. I've never invented a word before, but I think I just did.

JJ: Oh my gosh. Stop. Please.

ME: (In British accent) I'm feeling a bit Smithy right now myself.

JJ: Mom! You're embarrassing!

ME: Well, it's better than being (in British accent) Smithy.

There you go - a new word. Smithy. Using a British accent enhances it. Gives it more flavor. (Sigh) Why can't I have a job that employs my mind so I don't come up with random garbage like this? Well, I'm afraid it's stuck. Smithy it is.

3 comments:

Koi said...

Now no one can ever say you've never done anything. You've invented and expression, one I will most likely use. Thank you.

My family Begins said...

I just used the term "Smithy" with a british accent and was given a very strange look accompanied by "what's wrong with you"?

Kristin Coppee said...

Perfect. That's the idea. People will think it's strange at first, but it will catch on. Don't be Smithy on me now. Use it as much as you can.