Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Who's On First?

We've all been sick around here. We've all been cooped up in the house. The kids are going nuts, as am I. So, I decided to give my ladies a break and take them for a Sonic run and get them a little treat. I also decided to treat myself to a little cherry limeade even though the fizz hurts my palate and esophagus. I decided to just let it burn since I was already in pain with a sore throat anyway. My girls asked for a white coconut slush.

(SIGH) Ever have one of THESE conversations with your kid?

SYLVIE: Hey mom.
ME: Yes?
S: Did you get a cherry limeade?
ME: Yep.
S: Did I get a cherry in my drink?
ME: No, honey. Yours won't have one. You ordered a coconut slush, so there's no cherry.
S: Well, I just want a cherry in mine.
ME: I'm sorry, honey. There's no cherry in yours.
S: There's no cherry in yours?
ME: No. There's no cherry in YOURS.
S: Oh. There's no cherry in yours.
ME: NO! YOURS!
S: Yours?
ME: (SIGH) Mine has the cherry, honey.
S: Oh. Mine has the cherry?
ME: No MINE does.
S: MINE does?
ME: NO! MINE! MINE! MY DRINK! NOT YOURS! MINE!
S: Okay, mine does. Not yours, okay mommy? Just mine.

I fell completely silent. I was baffled. She was just not getting it and I didn't know how to explain it. At this point we had our drinks and I was driving toward home.

S: Hey mom?
ME: (SIGH) Yes, honey?
S: Did mine get a cherry in it?
ME: No, honey! NO! There's no cherry!
S: There's no cherry?
ME: No. Sorry, sweetie.
S: So, you didn't get a cherry too, mommy?
ME: Nope. Nobody got a cherry.
S: Nobody?
ME: Nope.
S: Mom, did you get a cherry limeade?
ME: Yep.
S: So, how'd you get a cherry? You got a cherry mom.
ME: I did?
S: Yeah mom! You did. You really, really did!
ME: Oh. Okay.
S: And I got a cherry too.
ME: Mm hm. (I decided just to agree for the sake of avoiding another argument)
S: I did, mom? I got a cherry?
ME: (HUGE SIGH) Sweetheart! Listen to me! My drink has a cherry and yours does not!
S: Yeah. My drink has a cherry and mommy's drink didn't have a cherry.

ME: OH MY GOSH! Listen! You got the cherry! Okay? You got it! It's in my drink, but I'm just gonna' give it to you when we get home, okay?

S: Okay, mommy. Hey Chloe, I get a cherry in my drink. Mommy said.

AAAAHHHHHHHH!!! She wins again!

4 comments:

Widdison Warbler said...

Way too funny! Mark freaks if he doesn't get a cherry too. I have to make sure they put one in there!

Jon and Lara Stowell said...

Oh my gosh!! HAHA! I got frustrated just reading that.

mbreck said...

Oh my word. Nice to know I am not the only one having conversations like that. I get them with my girl all the time. And now I want a cherry limeade. he he

My family Begins said...

She's playing mind games with you. Clever girl.