Sunday, July 26, 2009

My Baby Boy!

I know, I totally threw you off there. You thought I was talking about Zander. But, today is my firstborn baby boy's birthday - John.

I've decided today I want to take a look back on some funny and some sweet moments about John's life so far.

What's In A Name?

Before John was born, I knew I was going to have a boy. I wanted a boy first because I never had an older brother, but a lot of my friends did and I was so envious. I wanted a boy to lead by example for my younger children. I was thrilled to death when the ultrasound confirmed it.

Name intended for him: Wesley Owen Done (Yes, I tried to name him after Wesley on "The Princess Bride")

Name actually given: John Ammon Done, Jr. (His daddy wanted a junior so bad, he begged for it as I was pushing him out in delivery)

Name he wanted at the age of 6: Jackie Chan (John idolized this man as a young boy. He watched his cartoon, his movies and just really wanted to be named after him)

Names he wishes for now: Zoran or Tormund (He thinks they sound like good, strong military combat names)

My Favorite Phases

John has been through a lot of phases, but two hilarious ones that stand out to me are:

1. The Chinese phase - John used to lament that he wished he was born in China. He just wanted to be Chinese so bad (mostly because he idolized Jackie Chan). He wanted his room decorated in Chinese characters and pictures and he dreamed of being a Ninja. It was so hilarious to me, but I felt bad for him at the same time. I totally understood his dilemma. After all, I always wished I was born an Indian Princess who was then kidnapped. (Don't ask, I don't have an answer for that one.)

2. The spaceship phase - John was obsessed with aliens and spaceships and rocket ships for a while. I'll never forget the time he came home from kindergarten with a little booklet about shapes. Each page had a shape and it said, "It was a circle. Now it's a..." and each student had to think of something they could turn the shape into. John's book went like this:

It was a circle. Now it's a.... face.
It was a square. Now it's a....spaceship.
It was a triangle. Now it's a....spaceship.
It was a diamond. Now it's a...spaceship.
It was a square. Now it's a...spaceship.
It was an oval. Now it's a....(take a wild guess).

I started laughing and John was immediately offended. I felt so bad, but it was so hilarious to me. I laughed so hard, I cried. I really wish I would have kept that booklet. It was too cute!

The Chosen Path

Some of us have dreams for our kids - dreams of what they'll be someday. I've often wondered this about each one of my kids and tried to guess what they might become. John has always pondered on this subject and voiced his desires since the age of about 5. Here's how his career choices have evolved.

Age 5:
John - Mom, when I grow up can I be a garbage man?
Me - A garbage man? Really?
John - Yeah!
Me- Why, honey?
John - Because I like garbage trucks. They're fun to drive.
Me - Have you ever driven one?
John - Not, but I really want to.
Me - Okay, honey. If you really want to be a garbage man, you can.

Age 6: Ninja.

Age 8:
John - Mom, I really know what I want to be now when I grow up.
Me - Okay. What is it?
John - An Army field medic.
Me - A what?
John - An Army field medic.
Me - What is that? I've never heard of that.
John - It's someone who goes out in the field and helps wounded soldiers and takes them back to base to do surgeries on them and get them better.
Me - How do you even know about this stuff?
John - I read about it and see it on TV.
Me - Wow! Okay. But that's really dangerous. You could get killed on the battlefield while trying to rescue someone.
John - (Shrugging) Well, I just want to help people, so I've gotta' take that risk sometimes.
Me - (Speechless).

Age 9: Detective/Spy. He begged me to subscribe him to a Junior Detective magazine (and I did) that came with spy gear and he loved playing spy and detective.

Age 10: History professor. He's a HUGE history buff. He loves to read about history and he watches The History Channel on a regular basis.

Age 11:
John - Mom. I know I've changed my mind about stuff a lot, but I really, really know what I want to be now.
Me - You don't want to be a history professor anymore?
John - No.
Me - (Whining) But why? Honey, you're so smart and you know so much about history and when you tell me about it, it's very interesting and I want to hear more and I HATED history in school. You should really be a history professor. I think you would be great!
John - Mom. Listen, I know I love history and stuff, but I don't want to be a history professor.
Me - (Sighing) Okay. What do you want to do then?
John - I want to be in the Marines.
Me - WHAT?!?!?!
John - I want to go to Westpoint.
Me - WESTPOINT?!?!
John - It's a military academy.
Me - I KNOW what it IS! But WHY!?!?!
John - Because, mom. I just really want to.
Me - You have to work really hard in school and be an excellent student at the top of your class to get in there.
John - You think I can't do it?
Me - No. I KNOW you can do it, but...really?
John - (Annoyed) Yes!
Me - Okay, well it's gonna' be tough! I mean, they're gonna' work you over! Some nights you might be lying in bed crying for me and wishing you were back home.
John - (Rolling his eyes) Mom. Whatever. I'm not a baby.
Me - Grown men cry, John. The military is TOUGH!
John - I know, but it's what I want to do.
Me - WOW! Okay then! Go for it! You can do it!

He's stuck by this now for two years. Today he is 13. He approached me a couple of weeks ago and requested that I sign him up for Krav Maga classes. I had never heard of it. It's Israeli Defense Military Training. Again I asked him how in the WORLD he even knew about that. He does a lot of reading and research and watches a lot of military and history shows. So, we found the best Krav Maga studio with the #1 expert in the country, which fortunately happens to be right here in Arizona and we've spoken with them and they are going to give him a complimentary training course in six weeks and if it's what he really wants, we're signing him up.

He's still adamant about wanting to attend Westpoint someday. And he's still adamant about joining the military and working his way up through the ranks. According to the Krav Maga expert, having four years of extensive training in Krav Maga will look amazing on his resume and open up many opportunities for him. Apparently it's used in military and law enforcement, which is right up his alley.

Honestly, it's scary to think about my son out there involved in battle. I'd much rather see him in a nice, safe classroom teaching history to college students. But, if this is what he wants, and he seems awfully determined (he takes after me), then I have to support him in it.

Favorite Sweet Moment:

When John was about 6 years old, I was a single mom and the two of us lived alone in a new condo I had just purchased. I told John he was the man of the house - not to put pressure on him, but to try and make him feel important. He took this role very seriously. One weekend I became very ill. I think it was the flu, but it was an extreme case. I couldn't get out of bed - AT ALL! I couldn't move. I couldn't take care of my son.

John came into my room and said, "Mom. You sleep and I'll take care of everything, okay?"

I said, "Honey, it's okay. Just play with your toys and watch some cartoons and I promise I'll feel better really soon and come out and take care of you, okay? You let me know if you need anything."

He said, "No, mom. You let ME know if YOU need anything." Then, with that, he shut my bedroom door and I fell into a deep sleep.

I awoke a couple of hours later to John entering my room. He had a big tray in his arms with some cold cereal and some other food items on it. I can't remember what they were, but he said,
"Mom. Don't worry. I cleaned the whole house and I made you some dinner."

It still brings tears to my eyes to think about that day. My sweet boy has always been very thoughtful and caring like that. He's always concerned about everyone else and how they feel and what they need. I'm thankful for such a sweet, loving son.

I can't believe he's 13 already. These 13 years have been full of laughter and tears, joy and fear. I look forward to the next 13 and I am excited to watch this young man continue to evolve. Happy Birthday, John!

2 comments:

mbreck said...

That was a wonderful post. I liked that we got to know John more through it. So cute.

Jax said...

Ok I am getting misty over here and I don't even know your kid! :) I love it!

Ps. I love the name Zander. My husband and I almost named our last boy Zander because we are huge Buffy fans. Shocking I know :)