Saturday, April 19, 2008

Patty Cake Patty Cake (The Remix)


Daddy's working a full day today. It's Saturday. It started out sad, but then I saw this as an opportunity to spend some quality time with my Sylvie-Faye since Chloe is down for a nap and John is gone to scout camp. My kids don't get a lot of attention during the week because Bertrand and I work so much, so getting some one-on-one time during the weekends with each child is a real treat. First we enjoyed a little ice cream with a movie.

Then I thought, "I wonder if she knows Patty Cake. I've never taught it to her, but I wonder if she picked it up from somewhere else yet?" So I asked her if she wanted to play it and she drew in a deep breath, her eyes got big and she said, "YEAH MOMMY!" She was so excited, so I thought, "Oh. Cool. She knows it."

We sat across from each other and clapped our hands together. I started to say it with her, but she clapped her hand over my mouth and said, "No mommy. Sylbie do it, okay?" So I said, "Okay" and let her go to town.

Here's how it went:

Patty Cake. Patty Cake. (incoherent mumbling)

(Then we skip ahead)

Roll it. Roll it. Roll it. Roll it. Roll it. (At this point, her eyes crossed and she got this kind of blank stare, obviously mesmerized by the movement of her arms rolling over one another)

(So I prompted - "Mark it with a B")

(Then Sylvie jumped up in the air and threw her hands up)

WIGGA WIGGA MIGGA WIGGA MIGGA MIGGA WIGGA WIGGA!

"Yay mommy! I do it! Sylbie do it!"

I was laughing so hard I cried. Sylvie got a curious look on her face and cocked her head to one side.

"What mommy?"

I continued laughing, so she grabbed my face with both hands.

"Mommy. Mommy. What mommy?"

I said, "You're just so cute, Sylvie. That's what", to which she simply replied, "Oh".

Then she jumped up and down and said, "Again, mommy! Again!"

I wish I knew where our video camera was at that moment. Hopefully sometime this weekend and I can capture it on film.




1 comment:

Vonney said...

Too cute! Love your stories.