Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Unusual Car Fresheners

I walked into a convenience store today to buy some gas. There was a basket with a sign that said "HOMEMADE CAR FRESHENERS $3.00 EACH. I was intrigued. They were very large Ziploc bags with an interesting substance inside. I decided to look through the basket and see what scents there were as the cashier rang me up. I picked up the first baggie. The sticker on it read SEX IN A HOT TUB. I could feel my eyebrows raise in reaction. I was curious. I didn't realize sex in a hot tub had a smell. I quickly glanced at the cashier to make sure he wasn't watching. I felt kind of naughty. He caught my glance and looked down sheepishly, shoving his hands into his pockets.

I waved the baggie in front of him and said, "Wow! This is an interesting name for a scent."

He kind of chuckled and, still staring at the floor replied, "Yeah. Sorry. My friend makes those. He asked if he could sell them here. Sorry about the names."

I grinned and slid it back in the basket. "A man made these, huh?" I said. That made sense. "Well, now I'm curious about the other scents in here." I rummaged through the basket and pulled out another. The sticker read SEX POISON UNDER MY TONGUE. I nodded as I read it, "Yummy."

The cashier leaned forward, trying to read the sticker. I turned it around so he could see. He scratched his head, nervously shifting on his feet, "Oh man! These are bad. I gotta' put these behind the counter. I'm really sorry, Ma'am. I didn't realize..."

"No. No. It's okay. Look. Here's cherry", I said as I pulled out another, trying to reassure him that they weren't all bad.

"Yeah, I think my friend's a little crazy", he said sheepishly, his face turning a deep purple at this point.

I sniffed a couple more. I'll spare you the names. They were pretty raunchy. The smell was actually really pleasant. Unusual, but pleasant. I liked them - the scents, not the names. I decided to buy one. I placed it on the counter and said, "I'll take this one. It smells good."

The cashier read the sticker name. It read ORGASMIC. Now, before you judge, I bought it because it smelled good, not because of the name. The cashier giggled and I grinned and chuckled.

"Yeah, well...you see that little white car out there?" I pointed to my sad little car sitting at the gas pump.

"Yeah", the cashier replied.

"That's mine. It's a Hyundai Elantra. It's not a bad car, but you get more than 2-3 people in there and it starts to feel like sardines packed in a can."

The cashier nodded in response.

I continued, "You see, I've got four kids that I jam pack in there with me. So, if your friend's homemade scent here is going to make riding in a Hyundai Elantra with a screaming infant and two whiny toddlers in the back seat an orgasmic experience, then he's gonna' end up a billionaire!"

And with that, I took my car freshener, tromped out to my little tin can on wheels, opened it up and placed it under my seat. It smells good...

9 comments:

Lois Lane said...

Oh, Kristin, you are one entertaining character!

Sami said...

Can you pick one up for me?! LOL :)

Mark and Gretchen said...

That is one title that will definitely "sell"....so where do I get mine?
GAP
PS You were very clever not to reveal that part.

mbreck said...

Oh my word. You seriously crack me up. I love and miss you so much.

Jane Says said...

that's tooo funny!

Widdison Warbler said...

Now this is a funny post! Where did you go so I can check them out???

We are the delightfully happy Denhalters said...

haha. oh man, that is one funny story...what gas station were you at? i may just have to go pick me one up!!

Kristin Coppee said...

Okay, for those of you who want to know, it's the gas station on the corner of University and Alma School. I'm actually curious if they still have them sitting on the counter. The scent names were pretty raunchy and the cashier was mortified. LOL.

Kathleen said...

Very Funny! Carly told me your blog was entertaining. She was so right!